Road Department

Washington County Road Department

1862 Kaolin Road
P. O. Box 271
Sandersville, GA 31082
Phone 478-552-5330
Fax 478-552-8052

Public Works Director – Dean L. Davis

Normal Hours of Operation:

7:00 am thru 3:30 pm Monday thru Friday

After hour emergencies – call 911

*For safety purposes and operational procedures, the Road Department will NOT accept work/emergency repairs/requests via Email. They must be made via telephone, during normal hours of operation. You must be willing to provide your name, telephone number, and address. Any emergencies after hours should be directed to 911 via telephone.

Road Closures: Last update: 10/23/18

There are no road closures at this time. 


SURPLUS PROPERTIES: Used boards = $1 each. Used Pipes = $35 each. Used Grader Blades = $5 each. *Surplus properties are for all county citizens, not just Road Department employees and can be purchased at the Road Department during normal hours of operation.


Timber Permits:

Permits to begin a logging operation may be applied for at no cost at the Washington County Road Department during hours of operations.

Copies of ordinance may be obtained by contacting washington County Road Department.

Be prepared to provide the following:
1.    Valid and current logging operation bond of $5,000.00
2.    Name, address, and phone number of company posting bond, plus a contact person and their cell.
3.    Name, address, and phone number of company actually doing cutting, plus on site contact person and their cell.
4.    Names of trucking companies
5.    Name and address of landowner
6.    Map and parcel including copies of maps
7.    Road/street name where logging will take place.
8.    Number of acres to be harvested

Projects let for bids:
-no projects out for bids at this time

Current Major Road projects:
-no projects at this time

-no projects at this time


Abandoned Well policy:
It is the policy of theWashington County Board of Commissioners that when the County is requested to fill in an abandoned well, a fee of $350.00 will be charged and the fee must be paid in full before abandoned well will be filled in.  Also, the County will only fill in the abandoned well while on private property (no other work can be done).  Access to the well must be provided by the property owner.

Driveway policy:

  • Driveway applications may be filled out at Washington County Tax Assessors.
  • Public Works Director or Code Enforcement Officer will do site inspection and approve driveway permit and advise land owner of size of pipe required.
  • Effective December 7, 2012: Washington County Road Department will no longer sell pipe.