Road Department

Development Permit

Due to COVID-19, all permits can be obtained via phone at 478-552-5330 during the hours of 8 am and 3 pm, Monday thru Friday. These permits are required for new or used mobile homes, residential or commercial construction, remodels and new outbuildings over 400 square feet, new RV parks, mobile home parks, subdivisions with private roads, and for new or rebuilt driveways. There are NO requirements for pools in the county. These permits require one or more site visits; turnaround time is typically 5 to 10 business days.

  • E911 Addresses are required for all county and city residents - $30
  • Residential construction, commercial construction, and all mobile homes (new or used) - $60
  • Outbuildings, additions, or carports over 400 square feet - $30
  • Pool houses, cabins, or apartments under 400 square feet- $30, over 400 square feet - $60
  • Subdivisions, RV parks, and mobile home parks - $200
  • Payments can be made via cash or check; credit/debit is accepted with a 4% service fee.

Driveway Policy

Driveway applications may be filled out at Washington County Road Department; there is no cost. Public Works Director or Code Enforcement Officer will do a site inspection and approve the driveway permit and advise the landowner of the size of pipe required. Effective December 7, 2012: Washington County Road Department will no longer sell pipe.

Surplus Properties

  • Used boards $1 each. 
  • Used Pipes $35 each.
  • Used Grader Blades $5 each. 

Note: Surplus properties are for all county citizens, not just Road Department employees, and can be purchased at the Road Department during normal hours of operation.

Timber Permits

Due to COVID-19, we are asking that you fill out and email the attached logging permit to the following: Alexandria Orr or Donna Turner for approval. Bond letters may also be sent to these addresses. 

View logging permit application (PDF) 

Be prepared to provide the following:

  • Valid and current logging operation bond of $5,000
  • Name, address, and phone number of the company posting bond, plus a contact person and their cell.
  • Name, address, and phone number of the company actually doing cutting, plus on-site contact person and their cell.
  • Names of trucking companies
  • Name and address of the landowner
  • Map and parcel including 2 copies of maps
  • Road/street name where logging will take place.
  • Number of acres to be harvested

Abandoned Well Policy

It is the policy of the Washington County Board of Commissioners that when the County is requested to fill in an abandoned well, a fee of $350 will be charged and the fee must be paid in full before the abandoned well will be filled in. Also, the County will only fill in the abandoned well while on private property (no other work can be done). Access to the well must be provided by the property owner.

Due to COVID-19, or the coronavirus, and the desire to protect all of our citizens and employees from the potential spreading of the virus, the Washington County Board of Commissioners will close all County offices to the public until further notice. County offices will continue to operate and will be available to respond to emails and telephone calls to discuss any issues that the public may have. Please refer to the County website and click on the department's tab for the contact information of the office you need to contact. Notifications will also be placed on the doors of each office listing their office numbers for any concerns. For those that need to pay for car tags or property taxes, please visit the Washington County Tax Commissioner's website through the site listed above to do so online, there is also an option to pay property taxes by phone with that number listed on the site. We will continue to monitor the situation as we gather new information, and will make changes as they are required. Please remember to wash your hands regularly, avoid attending any unnecessary gatherings, give people plenty of space, and avoid touching your face with unwashed hands.

*Due to COVID-19 all permits are being done via phone and email!

*For safety purposes and operational procedures, the Road Department will NOT accept work/emergency repairs/requests via Email or through this web page. They must be made via telephone, during normal hours of operation. You must be willing to provide your name, telephone number, and address. Any emergencies after hours should be directed to 911 via telephone.